What Are the Best High Toilets for Seniors?
Choosing the right toilet is a matter of comfort and efficiency for most people. For seniors, it is also a question of mobility. As we age, our legs’ extensor muscles weaken, affecting our ability to straighten our knees. This means that seniors do best with taller toilets that don’t require as much knee movement. Seniors also need toilets that are comfortable to use and may want to consider extra features, such as self-cleaning abilities.
To help, here are the best high toilets for seniors,
American Standard Cadet 3 FloWise Toilet
The American Standard Cadet 3 FloWise features the same 16.5-inch rim height as most models. This is the height that most seniors will prefer. While most other toilets have elongated bowls, this one has a round bowl.
The toilet comes with an EverClean surface for fighting stains and PowerWash flush technology. It also has a slow-close seat and a concealed trapway to make cleaning easy. Better yet, it is compact enough to fit in smaller spaces.
- Five-year warranty from manufacturer.
- Easy to clean.
- Sleek design.
- Can fit in tight spaces.
- May not be ideal for larger men.
- Installation requires a professional.
You can find the American Standard Cadet 3 FloWise at Home Depot for 347.10.
Convenient Height Dual Flush Extra-Tall Toilet
This toilet from Convenient Height is taller than the others on this list, with a rim height of 20 inches. That means it is taller than the ADA-compliant height of 17- to 19-inches from the floor to the bowl rim.
That extra height is useful for taller seniors or anyone who needs the extra height. That includes those with bad knees and those who use walkers. The trade-off is that the extra height means it requires professional installation. On the other hand, this makes installing or uninstalling a seat or handrail very simple.
- The tallest senior-oriented toilet available.
- Great for seniors with bad knees.
- Quiet, efficient rapid flush system.
- The seat can be uncomfortable than other toilets on the market.
- The handle may feel cheap.
- Requires professional installation.
Expect to pay $539 for the Dual Flush Extra-Tall toilet directly from Convenient Height or at your local retailer.
Kohler K-3589-0 Cimarron Comfort-Height Elongated Toilet
Choosing this toilet gives you the benefit of Kohler’s excellent brand reputation. You will notice that the bowl is nice and clean after each flush thanks to the 1.6 gallons per flush (GPF). Moreover, the AquaPiston flushing system cleans the entire bowl. This dramatically saves the time that seniors need to spend cleaning their toilet.
Plus, seniors who have arthritis in their hands or struggle with hand strength will appreciate the light-touch flush.
It is also worth noting that this toilet is very easy to install. That can be helpful if you install it yourself or it may reduce the cost of having someone install it for you.
- One-year limited warranty from manufacturer.
- Uses less water than most toilets on the market.
- Operates quietly.
- Fills and flushes quickly, thanks to a Class 6 flush valve.
- Installation may require shimming the base, but this is not always the case.
- Some seniors may feel that the seat is too narrow.
Expect to pay $339.05 for the Kohler K-3589-0. It is worth noting, however, that it may be hard to find as it is discontinued.
TOTO CST744SL Drake 2-Piece ADA Toilet
As the name implies, the TOTO CST744SL is ADA-compliant. The toilet also features a 1.6 GPF G-Max flushing system that is commercial grade.
On top of these features, the toilet includes an extra-large siphon jet and a three-inch flush valve to keep the toilet clean. The flush value is particularly helpful for seniors as it reduces the time they need to spend hunched over cleaning the toilet.
For seniors that need extra support, the TOTO offers multiple customization options for the CST744SL. You can opt for the Toto Washlet version, which adds a bidet seat for easier cleaning. The bidet is especially helpful for seniors who struggle to reach to wipe well. Other customization options include a soft-close seat, bolt-down lid, and right-hand trip lever.
- One-year warranty from the manufacturer.
- Excellent for taller people or those with knee issues.
- Doesn’t need frequent cleanings.
- Can be upgraded to a bidet.
- Some people may find the powerful flushing sound too loud.
- Some people may not like how the tank lid sits.
Currently, the CST744SL is only available through TOTO’s website or at their showrooms. As such, you should expect to pay $397 for the toilet. However, that price does not include the bidet upgrade.
Woodbridge T-0008 One-Piece Toilet Featuring Advanced Bidet Seat
For seniors who want a bidet without having to pay extra, the Woodbridge T-0008 toilet is a good alternative. As mentioned above, the inclusion of a bidet is great for seniors who struggle to wipe.
The toilet comes with other high-end features related to the bidet portion. This includes temperature-controlled wash water, a warm air dryer, a heated seat, and a remote control to operate it. It even has unlimited warm water for the bidet portion, something typically only found in high-end toilets.
Furthermore, the bidet portion is adjustable with a pulsating wash that cleans both the front and the rear. This adjustability is particularly important as it lets you set the flow gentle enough for sensitive or delicate skin. It also oscillates to fully cleanse.
- Luxury features at a budget price.
- Two-year limited warranty from manufacturer.
- Remote control for ease of use.
- Excellent for larger seniors and those with mobility issues.
- Woodbridge has great customer service.
- Requires professional installation.
- Although the water pressure is adjustable, the bidet sprayer on the TOTO CST744SL is stronger.
Since the Woodbridge T-0008 comes with a bidet, expect to pay more than the other toilets listed. The toilet is regularly priced at $789. However, you can save $120 by picking it up at one of Woodbridge’s warehouses.
Stuff About Us
Stuff. It’s what dreams are made of. That’s why we pride ourselves in answering all of your stuff with the best stuff out there. So give us your best shot. What do you need to know? Submit your most pressing questions and let us do the work for you.