Skip to main content

What are the Best Online Dermatology Services?

It can take forever to see a dermatologist in person. In fact, Business Wire reports that around four in 10 patients wait anywhere from one to six months for a dermatology appointment. Skip the long wait and consider talking with an online dermatologist instead. Some of these services can consult, diagnose, and prescribe medications for you without having to step foot into a doctor’s office. Search online to find out what else online dermatologists offer.

Online dermatologists are a convenient way to access premium health care at an affordable cost. You might even be able to get it covered by your insurance. To find out, start a search online.

If you’re looking for a virtual dermatologist, here are some of the best online practices to consider.



It’s easy to get your non-emergency skin problems treated with SkyMD. Depending on your preference, you can upload photos of your skin condition or consult with a doctor on a scheduled live video conference. The doctor will recommend a course of treatment and you can easily follow up to ask any questions that come up.

SkyMD aims to respond to new patient cases in less than one hour. This telemedicine service employs board certified doctors with the American Academy of Dermatology. Altogether, these professionals have reviewed over 1,000 medical and cosmetic dermatology cases. SkyMD is available in 41 U.S. states and can easily connect you to dermatologists near you.

You can download the SkyMD app to stay in touch with your doctor. If your condition requires an in-person consultation, the service will refer you to a local clinic.

Most PPO insurance plans are accepted by SkyMD. Patients can also pay out-of-pocket if they are not covered by insurance or don’t carry an eligible health plan.

First Derm


Get to the bottom of your skin problem with First Derm. The online dermatology clinic helps 80 percent of patients with over-the-counter medication after snapping two pictures of their skin problem. The other 20 percent receive further testing with a scheduled appointment within a week, which skips the average 32 day waitlist you deal with at most dermatology services.

First Derm can help to identify your skin problem and recommend treatments after carefully reviewing your case. Furthermore, First Derm has tons of information about skin conditions on its website. You can browse through images, symptoms, and other information for free before consulting with a doctor.

Keep in mind that First Derm doctors do not write prescriptions and they recommended seeing a doctor in person.



DermatologistOnCall is an online service that simply requires you to create a patient profile, describe your concern, and upload images. Most patients will receive a response within 24 hours. From here, a doctor will give you a diagnosis and treatment plan for just $95. In fact, board certified dermatologists can treat over 3,000 conditions with a virtual consultation.

Doctors with this service are also able to prescribe medication to their patients. The order will be sent to your local pharmacy where you will have to pay any necessary costs for the medication.

You can access DermatologistOnCall on your computer, tablet, or smartphone.



If you’re dealing with a virtually diagnosable condition, such as acne, wrinkles, or sparse eyelashes, see if Apostrophe can help. An account with this website allows you to securely message with your doctor and receive a custom treatment plan. Apostrophe just requires you to take an intake survey to determine how best to deal with your condition.

Apostrophe develops effective acne formulas based on your unique skin type and problems. Customers can receive both topical and oral medications for treatment. The company sends you products in the mail and offers autofill. You can pause or cancel your subscription through your account settings.

Apostrophe does not accept insurance. Instead, you will have to pay with a debit card, credit card, or through a PayPal account.

Search Online to Compare Dermatologists

Whether you’re dealing with acne, eczema, viral rashes, psoriasis, or any other type of skin condition, you can get help from an online dermatologist. These professionals can answer your questions quickly and even prescribe the necessary medication to treat your condition.

Instead of waiting months for an in-person dermatology appointment, consult with an online doctor. Board certified doctors can respond to your inquiry in as little as one hour. Plus, you might even be able to get your care covered under insurance. So, start an online search to find out which telehealth service is best for you.

16 This Was Helpful Stuff